Monday, August 24, 2009

Aug. 15, 2009 - Camelback Mtn.

I imagine that most anyone who enjoys hiking, or even has friends that enjoy hiking, has probably climbed to the top of Mount Camelback (Camelback Mountain). I never had until I was 22. "Really?! I can't believe you've never hiked Camelback?!"

Well, I've done it a number of times since. Usually these days, it's with my wonderful wife Shirley. She is such a trooper. Shirley is wonderful and sweet and nice, but when we hike Camelback, she turns into this slave driving machine (I love you Shirley - I'm only exaggerating).

Shirley lived very near Camelback Mountain for a while, and has hiked/climbed/flown up and down the mountain quite a bit more than I. She has this habit when she hikes (and most especially when she hikes Camelback) of wanting to push the pace to the extreme. When we get on Camelback, she's racing the clock. Sometimes I think she forgets I'm there.

Here's a picture of Shirley making me eat her dust as she climbs this section past the first rail. Shirley calls these the "pansy poles" and mocks anyone who uses them. Do I use them? Sometimes. Does she mock me? Everytime. Even if I just accidentally brush up against one.

It's all in good fun though. Camelback is crowded; there are all kinds of people that hike it. I've even seen people going up barefoot (weirdos). But it's a great hike. It's close, it's challenging, and short enough that you can go hike it, and be back home on a saturday to get on with the rest of your day.

I think next time I'm gonna beat Shirley.

No comments:

Post a Comment