Sunday, June 14, 2009

The Resolution

About a month ago, Shirley and I were at the local Borders Bookstore just browsing and enjoying the evening when i stumbled across a most remarkable discovery... a book of course, called 60 Hikes Within 60 Miles: Phoenix by Charles Liu.

For $17.95, my life has changed.

This is my new favorite book. I recently started reading again. I'm not necessarily a reader, though I've read a number of novels on and off throughout my life. I read in spurts. I just finished Great Expectations and Life of Pi. Both were good, but this one tops all others, and it's not even a novel.

As the title suggests, the book outlines 60 different day hikes within 60 miles of Phoenix. I've always enjoyed hiking and since the time I met Shirley I've done even more of it because she enjoys it too! This book has motivated me to extend my enjoyment of hiking to more of a passion, if you will.

Most the hikes in the book are well-known hikes around the valley - hikes that I've heard of before, but his briefs and descriptions about each hike get me so excited to go out and attack the trails.

With each hike, He gives a brief of the hike, a short one to three page description, and then some key information about the hike, such as: length, elevation gain, difficulty, exposure to sun, hiking time, facilities available, and a bunch of other things.

Really, I'm so excited about this book that i decided to start a blog about the hiking experiences and that me and Shirley encounter! We've decided we're gonna do all 60 of these hikes!

And so it begins.

1 comment: